Monday, January 03, 2011

New introduction to "Novarodok" posted online

Avakesh has posted Rabbi Meir Levin's new introduction to the French edition of the book Novarodok here.

This quote is particularly interesting:
I would be over-reaching if I claimed credit for Alan Morinis’ work. This Rhodes scholar and former movie producer already found Mussar before reading a copy of Novarodok. It was Novarodok, however, which moved him to contact Rabbi Perr, who became his Musar mentor, and to go on to develop the Mussar Institute, a movement of thousands of Jews from all varieties of observance, who study Mussar as a spiritual discipline and find within it the inspiration toward a holier, more spiritual and more productive life.

It's interesting, because, I wasn't aware that reading Novarodok had prompted Alan Morinis to seek out Rabbi Perr.  In fact, today I had emailed someone and just by chance, mentioned the affect of the Mussar Institute and Rabbi Perr's influence on Dr. Morinis.

2 comments:

  1. Climbing Jacob's Ladder, page 22.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touché. I had forgotten about page 22. The last time I reread the book, I actually skipped the intro. Good lesson for me.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete